Master of Social Work (MSW)
The Master of Social Work program at DSU @Wilmington prepares students for advanced careers in the human services field. Students admitted to the Advanced Standing Program can even earn a MSW in just one year. Our MSW is accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE) and is the only such accredited MSW program in Delaware.
Our MSW program prepares students for advanced practice with individuals, families, groups, organizations, and communities. Course offerings provide students an understanding of social, economic, political, and interpersonal problems from a global perspective. Consequently, students comprehend the effects of problems, such as poverty, health disparities, racism, and oppression, on populations that live in parts of the world outside the United States.
If you begin your MSW program at DSU @Wilmington within five years of earning your BSW from an accredited institution, we will grant you Advanced Standing and allow you to skip 10 introductory courses. With admission to the Advanced Standing Program, you may be able to complete your entire MSW program in just one year; ask us for details.
Our MSW program also offers both full-time and part-time options to fit your schedule. If you’re committed to the degree but don’t meet all the admissions requirements, you may be able to enroll part-time under the direction of a mentor. MSW faculty members are full-time professors who have doctoral degrees.
- Policies & Services in Social Welfare
- Human Behavior & the Social Environment
- Generalist Practice (Regular & Advanced)
- Research & Evaluation Methods
- Administration, Management & Supervision in Social Work Practice
- Field Practicum
- Theories of Personality and Psychopathology
- Practice & Program Evaluation for the Advance Practitioner
- Mondays: 4:30 pm - 7:00 pm & Wednesdays: 7:15 pm - 10:30 pm
- Students take five classes per week (4 in class and one in the field)
- Part-time (3-4 years)
- Full-time (2 years)
- Advanced Standing (1 year)
- Completed BSW within last five years (from CSWE-accredited program for Advanced Standing consideration)
- MAT or GRE
- Three professional references (one letter must be from chair of undergraduate department for Advanced Standing consideration)
- Personal statement
Regular status requirements (above) plus:
- Overall GPA 3.0 or higher and “B” or better in social work foundation courses
- Minimum of “B” in undergraduate field placement
- Descriptions and evaluations of undergraduate field work experience
- Successful completion of summer seminar required.
The highly flexible, accelerated (full- and part-time) program:
- Gives students who have completed their BSW within five years from an accredited institution an Advanced Standing and the opportunity to skip 10 introductory courses.
- Is accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE).
- Has full-time professors with doctoral degrees.
- Can offer students who do not meet admissions requirements part-time program attendance under the direction of a mentor.
- Offers the same tuition both in-state and out-of-state.
Interim Program Director
- Dr. Eleanor Kiesel
Fall 2017 – 16 weeks
- August 28 – December 15
Spring 2018 – 16 weeks
- January 8 – May 4
Tuition and Fees
Questions? Contact us at 302.857.8200.
- $438.00 Per Credit Hour
- $60.00 Registration Fee
- $55.00 Technology Fee
- $60.00 Student Activity Fee
(Pro-rated based on credit hours)
- Regular Status: June 30
- Advanced Status: May 31