Congratulations on being accepted to Delaware State University!
We look forward to having you join the Hornet family.
Before your arrival on campus, there are several steps you must take to complete your enrollment. Here are some details to help make the process of becoming a Hornet easier.
If you have any questions, please contact the Office of Admissions at 302.857.6351 or admissions [at] desu.edu.
How to Submit Your UNIVERSITY ID photo ONLINE
You are requested to upload two photos online in order to receive your University ID card:
- Click here to submit your photo
- Sign in with your University email address
After answering a few questions, you will be asked to provide two pictures:
- A photo of a valid government-issued ID.
- A photo to be used as your Delaware State University ID photo (please see requirements below).
- Your photograph must have a plain passport-type white background (we suggest you take a current picture in front of a white wall or plain white door). If you need to modify your background to all white, please use the following link: https://www.remove.bg/t/change-background.
- Your face must be clearly visible and facing forward, same as a driver license or a state picture – no profile/social media shots, filters, headphones, sunglasses or hats.
- Photo must be in color.
- You must be the only person in the picture.
- Photo CANNOT be taken in a car or crowded room or have background objects – no trees, door frames or window blinds, etc.
- No graduation caps, gowns, uniforms or costumes are allowed.
- Nothing can be touching the face – no hands, trees, graphics, etc.
**If you do not have a government ID or a state ID, please upload your school ID with all your information.**
1. Return your acceptance agreement
Confirm your intent to enroll at Delaware State University by completing and returning your Admissions Acceptance Agreement electronically using DocuSign. The offer of admissions is nonbinding.
2. File your completed FAFSA
File your completed Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to learn if you are eligible for financial assistance from the federal government. For completion of any financial aid or scholarship paperwork, the Delaware State University code is 001428.
For priority processing, you must file your FAFSA by March 15. Please know that if you do not file by the deadline, determination of your eligibility will be delayed. Visit www.desu.edu/financialaid for further assistance.
3. Register for New Student Orientation and pay your orientation fee
Visit www.desu.edu/orientation to register for orientation and submit your payment by the University’s published deadline. All new students must participate in New Student Orientation to register for classes at the University.
4. Complete placement testing
Prior to New Student Orientation, all new students* are required to complete placement testing. (You must confirm your enrollment with the Office of Admissions and register for New Student Orientation prior to accessing the testing.) Please visit www.desu.edu/aleks for more information.
* Note: You will not need to take the ALEKS Assessment if you have taken and passed a college-level math course (submission of official transcript(s) from previous institution(s) required for evaluation). If you have taken a college-level math course, please confirm with transfer [at] desu.edu and include your full name and student ID for final determination. High school Advanced Placement scores can be considered upon submission of official scores.
5. Access your University email account
Access your Delaware State University email account by visiting http://my.desu.edu. Click the EMAIL icon and log on with your email user name and password that was provided in your admission letter.
E-communication from the University will only be sent to your University-assigned email account. It is important that you monitor this email account regularly and/or link this email to your personal email account so that you do not miss any correspondence from our offices.
6. Apply for campus housing
If you intend to live on campus, you must submit the required housing application and nonrefundable $200 housing deposit. An email will be sent to your University email account with instructions on how to apply for housing online once it is available.
For priority consideration, housing applications must be submitted by July 15 for fall and December 1 for spring. Please visit www.desu.edu/housing for further assistance.
7. Submit your health form
All full-time students must submit a completed original health form to the Student Health Center by July 15 for fall and December 1 for spring. Residential students will not be allowed to move on campus without having a completed health form on file. Commuters must submit their health forms by the first day of classes.
Please visit www.desu.edu/student-health-services for further assistance.
8. Submit your final official transcript
Submit your official final high school transcript confirming graduation (transcript must include your graduation date) or your official GED scores by July 15 for fall and December 1 for spring to admissionsdocs [at] desu.edu. It is necessary to submit the official final record from high school to become fully enrolled at the University. To receive credit for AP and/or IB scores, please submit your document(s) to admissionsdocs [at] desu.edu.
Transfer students must submit an official college transcript from all previously attended colleges and universities to admissionsdocs [at] desu.edu.
Students are encouraged to send official transcripts via electronic transcript systems such as Parchment and National Student Clearing House. You may also send your official sealed transcripts to our mailing address:
Delaware State University
Attn: Office of Admissions
1200 N. DuPont Highway
Dover, DE 19901
9. Complete the financial aid process and satisfy your student account
To complete your financial aid process, review your financial aid/scholarship information at http://my.desu.edu and check for verification selection from the Department of Education on your Student Aid Report (SAR).
A bill for your first enrollment period will be generated once you have selected and registered for your courses. At that time, you can log on to my.desu.edu to view your account summary by selected term and satisfy your account by the published deadline. If you are unable to pay your balance in full, you can make satisfactory payment arrangements with the Nelnet Business Solutions Tuition Payment Plan.
10. Enroll or waive student health insurance
Delaware State University provides access for students to a cost-effective Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP) through UnitedHealthcare. All full-time (12 or more credit hour) U.S. undergraduate students and all international students must complete an online student health insurance enrollment/waiver process each semester. Students who are able to demonstrate comparable coverage may be able to opt of the SHIP.
For information on how to waive or enroll, please visit www.desu.edu/student-life/student-health-services/student-health-insurance.
Students who submit a waiver application before the deadline will avoid mandatory enrollment in the SHIP and billing of the per-semester premium to their Student Account upon approval of the waiver. For students enrolling in the SHIP, the cost of the full per-semester insurance premium will be billed to their Student Account.