Individuals with Disabilities
At Delaware State University we want to ensure that all our graduates and guests taking part in any commencement activities have the ability to participate fully and equally. If you are a graduate or a guest with a disability and feel you will need an accommodation in order to have equal access in any commencement-related event or you have any disability-related questions, please contact the Center for Disability Resources (CDR) no later than May 2, 2023.
The CDR can be reached via email at cdr [at] desu.edu or by phone at 302-857-7042.
PLEASE NOTE: The only animals allowed at the Commencement Ceremonies are Service Dogs. No other pets or emotional support animals are permitted.
Accommodative Measures Already in Place
American Sign Language (ASL) Interpreting will be available for the main Commencement Ceremonies on May 12th. The interpreters will be featured on the jumbotrons for the entirety of the ceremonies.
- Real-Time Closed Captioning (CART) will be available for the main Commencement Ceremonies on May 12th.
- Golf cart transport will be available from the parking areas to the location of the Commencement Ceremony for these individuals.
- Wheelchair and Mobility Access
- Guests and Graduates with handicapped license plates and/or hangtags – enter using GATE 1
- If you do not have a handicapped license plate or hang tag but will be driving someone who needs disability access please call the Center for Disability Resources (CDR) at 302-857-7042 or email cdr [at] desu.edu and a courtesy handicapped parking pass will be sent to you.
- In addition to the courtesy golf cart transportation offered in all lots there will be ADA/Wheelchair accessible vans making loops in the lots designated for handicapped parking. Please look for the “ADA SHUTTLE” signs.
- Undergraduate Ceremony – handicapped parking will be directed to Lots 1 and 14.
- Graduate Ceremony – handicapped parking will be directed to Lots 1 and 9/10.
- Undergraduate Commencement Ceremony, May 12th at 8am: A dedicated area for wheelchair users and those with mobility impairments will be provided with signage on the first row of bleachers on either side of the stadium. The Home bleachers have a wheelchair lift and the Away bleachers have a ramp. Guests may have one companion join them in this area. First come, first served no special tickets required.
- Graduate Commencement Ceremony, May 12th at 11am: A dedicated area for wheelchair users and those with mobility impairments will be marked by signage and located on the paved patio section of the Tubman Laws Courtyard. Guests may have one companion join them in this area. First come, first served no special tickets required.
(This section will be updated as more information becomes available, please check back often.)